Borrow a Roku with Netflix!
What is Roku? Roku is a device that connects to both your TV and wireless internet connection to provide you with a Smart TV experience with streaming player technology. The Roku will allow you to stream popular television shows and movies through the library’s Netflix subscription and Vudu account, as well as provide access other free channels.
To use the Roku you need to have wireless Internet and have either an HDMI or component input on your television. The Roku kit will provide you with the rest. Just plug in the Roku to your TV, connect it to your Wi-Fi and start watching!
Loan Period: 1 week
- Plug in the AC Power cable into the Roku box and wall socket; there is no on/off switch on the Roku box, it stays on.
- Plug the HDMI cable or RCA cables into the Roku box and your TV.
- If using HDMI, do what is necessary to have your TV use the HDMI port as an input source.
- Use the Roku remote to connect to your home WiFi for internet connection Go to the settings menu, select Network Follow prompts to connect to your home WiFi, you may have to enter a password if your home WiFi requires it.
- Use the Roku remote to select a channel and watch. Additionally, this video can aid you in the setup of the Roku if needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Other than your home Wi-Fi password, do not enter any of your personal account information to any of the channels, as it will not be cleared when you return it. Also, do not attempt to add or remove any channels.
Borrow a Chromecast!
What is Chromecast? Similar to Roku, Chromecast connects to both your TV and wireless internet connection, allowing you to stream content. Chromecast is a little different though in that it pairs with your smart phone, mobile device, or computer (using the Chrome browser with Chromecast extension) to cast your device’s screen to your television.
To use Chromecast you need to have wireless Internet, an HDMI or component input on your television, and a mobile device with the Chromecast app on it. Just plug the Chromecast into your TV, connect it to your Wi-Fi and cast your lots of different content to your TV, including free movies and television shows in Hoopla!
Loan Period: 1 week
- Plug the power cable into Chromecast. Plug the Chromecast into the HDMI port on your television and plug the power adapter into wall socket.
- Change the input (or source) on your TV to the HDMI port the Chromecast is plugged into.
- Install the Chromecast app on your device and it will walk you through the remainder of the setup. Visit chromecast.com/setup for more information or to set up the device with your Chrome browser on your computer.