How you ask? With the library’s OverDrive service. Signing up for OverDrive on your computer or mobile device is a breeze — all you need is your library card and pin number! If you don’t have a library card, or have forgotten your pin number, just stop by any NOPL branch and the friendly staff can help you out. Library cards are FREE for anyone living in Onondaga County, all you need is a photo ID and proof of address.
Before we get started, you may be wondering what the benefits of OverDrive are. OverDrive is allows you to digitally borrow books and audiobooks by downloading them to a computer, tablet, or mobile device. OverDrive makes tens of thousands of items available to you 24/7 from wherever you are. As long as you have an Internet connection, you’re good to go!
Signing Up on a Computer
To sign up for OverDrive using a desktop or laptop computer, you’ll need to follow these six easy steps:
- Go to NOPL’s website at nopl.org
- Using the top navigation menu, hover your mouse over Digital Branch, then Digital Downloads, then Audiobooks, then OverDrive. Click on OverDrive.
- Click the button Go to the OverDrive Catalog
- Click the orange Sign In button in the upper righthand corner
- On the left, enter your library card number and pin number
- NOTE: Do not check the box next to Remember My Card Number on This Device if you are using a public computer
- Click Sign In
Congratulations! You’re all signed in and ready to begin browsing the catalog and borrowing items.
Signing Up on a Mobile Device or Tablet
To sign up for OverDrive on your mobile device or tablet, you’ll need to follow the steps below:
- Download the OverDrive app from your device’s app store.
- In the upper lefthand corner, there should be a “hamburger” menu with three horizontal lines. Click the hamburger menu, then Account, then Sign In
- Click Sign in using Library Card
- Use the search box to find your library branch by searching for ‘NOPL’ and clicking on your branch
- Enter your library card number and pin number
- Click Sign In
- Click + Add a Title
- Click Sign In one more time
- Enter your library card number and pin number again
- NOTE: If you check the box next to Remember My Card Number on This Device, anyone using your device will be able to download books to your account
That’s it! Now you can begin browsing the catalog and downloading items.
If you have any trouble accessing OverDrive, please stop by any of NOPL’s three branches and a librarian would be more than happy to assist you. In my next posts, learn how to download audiobooks or download eBooks on OverDrive.