All About Borrowing Materials
Know the benefits and responsibilities associated with your NOPL library card.
What Do You Get With A NOPL Card?
- A NOPL library card entitles you to priority access to NOPL materials which include new books by popular authors, magazines, DVDs and CDs.
- At home and from the library, enjoy access to our Digital Library, found online, providing downloadable and streaming materials such as movies, music
and e-books 24 hours a day.
- Use your card to access digitized newspapers and genealogy resources at the library. Log in with your library card and PIN (which is issued at the time of
- NOPL is part of the Onondaga Public Library System. Place a hold request through the online catalog to get items delivered to your NOPL branch free of charge.
NOPL Policies & Card Holder Responsibilities:
- Please notify the library promptly if your card is lost or stolen or if there are changes to your contact information, including your email address.
- NOPL Members are responsible for all materials borrowed on their card including:
- Materials borrowed on a card that has not been reported lost/stolen.
- Materials borrowed on their library card that have become damaged.
- Borrowers who owe more than $10 in fines or fees or who have long-overdue materials are blocked from further borrowing until charges are paid and/or materials returned.
- The Onondaga County Public Library System has engaged an outside management service to collect fines and fees totaling $50 or more. A mandatory service charge of $10 is applied to each account submitted for collection.
- Materials owned by NOPL will be automatically renewed if they meet the following conditions:
- Renewals are available on the item
- No one else has requested the item
- The item is not a Fast Flicks DVD, Video Game, or Interlibrary Loan (these do not have renewals)
- For qualifying items, you will be notified 3 days prior to the due date that they will be automatically renewed (no loss of borrowing time occurs).
- Items owned by other libraries may be eligible for renewal unless another patron has placed a request for the item. Renew in person, by telephone or online at nopl.org using your library card and PIN. If you do not have a PIN please present your card at the Service Desk and ask staff for assistance.
- All NOPL materials, with the exception of Fast Flicks DVDs, Interlibrary Loans, NOPL Express books and Video Games, may be returned to any library in
Onondaga County. Each library branch has a 24-hour outdoor book return.
When returning items to a NOPL branch the
- 20 cents/day for overdue adult items.
- NO daily overdue charges for children and teen materials (excludes video games).
- Library cardholders are responsible for the cost or exact replacement of lost or damaged library materials.
NOPL Loan Periods
- 3 weeks for most library items including books, audio books, non-fiction DVDs and music CDs.
- 7 days for DVDs, holiday books, video games and magazines.
- 7 days for NOPL Express books with 1 renewal.
- 3 days for Fast Flicks DVDs.
NOPL offers many unique items for checkout. To see their loan periods, visit our Unusual Items page.
Please Note: Other libraries’ loan periods may differ from NOPL’s. Please check your receipt at checkout or view your account online for due dates.
NOPL Item Limits
A total of 10 DVDs (3 can be Fast Flicks) and 2 video games may be checked out on a card at any given time. Limits may exist on checking out and holding other materials. Please contact your NOPL branch if you have any questions.