E-books are digital versions of print books that you can read right on your mobile device or tablet. You can use OverDrive to access our collection of e-books. E-books can be read within the OverDrive app or sent to a Kindle device for reading. In this article, we will cover how to find and download e-books to your OverDrive app. We also have a helpful article about how to send your e-books to your Kindle, if that’s how you’d prefer to read them.
To get started, sign in to your OverDrive account.
Searching for an E-book
- Click + Add a Title
- Click Search
- Type in your search terms — you can search by title, author, or keywords in the basic search box
- If you’d like to perform an advanced search, click Advanced after clicking in the Search box
- Your results will appear, automatically sorted by Relevance
- You can change how titles are sorted by clicking Sorted by relevance and then choosing how you’d like to sort
- You can also filter your results by clicking on Filters and choosing how you’d like to filter
Browsing for an E-book
- Click + Add Title
- Scroll down to view pre-selected categories to browse. Click the category heading to view all items in that category
- Click the hamburger menu in the upper right, click Subjects
- Scroll until you find the subject you want, then click on it
Something to keep in mind when searching or browsing for titles is that both e-books and audiobooks will appear in results, so you’ll want to look below the cover image and title for a book icon and the word Ebook (you can also filter your results to only show you one type of material). Available titles will have an orange bar above the cover image that says Available. Titles marked as Wait List above the cover image aren’t available right now and will need to be placed on hold if you’d like to borrow them in the future.
Borrowing and Downloading an E-book
- Once you see the title you want, click on it
- Click the orange Borrow button; or click the orange Place a Hold button if the title is unavailable
- For available titles, after you click Borrow, you will have the option to borrow for 7, 14, or 21 days. Click 14 days to change this timeframe
- Click Borrow again
- Click Download EPUB eBook
- The e-book should begin downloading automatically. (If it doesn’t, you can go to your Bookshelf and click the cover, which will prompt you to download it)
- Tip: access your Bookshelf by clicking the hamburger menu, then clicking Bookshelf.
- Once it is done downloading, you can click the cover in your Bookshelf to begin reading!