Why choose NOPL for your internship Experience?
The Northern Onondaga Public Library (NOPL) is a Special Library district with three branch libraries, located in Brewerton, Cicero and North Syracuse. We have a staff of 49 and an operating budget of just under 2.7 million. In 2014, 609,572 items were borrowed or downloaded; there were 243,411 visits to the library, and 183,000 visits to our website. We offered 1.127 programs, attended by 17,986 people.
An internship is a valuable opportunity to gain hands-on experience, to test assumptions based on classroom learning, to observe and be mentored by professional staff who may serve as career references, and to develop project items for your portfolio.
What are the possibilities?
- Public Library Practicum – a little of everything!
- Marketing and Social Media Internship
- Youth Services Internship
Special Projects Internship
Be a part of whatever is on our “to-do” list, or work with an ongoing project or service. Some examples:
- Growing the LibraryFarm (Cicero Branch)
- Developing an online resource for our board of trustees (PR Dept-Cicero Branch)
- Help with promotions and video production (PR Dept-Cicero Branch)
- Working with staff on policy development and revision
- Working on The Creative Aging Project – an OCPL pilot program (Cicero Branch)
- Developing the Discovery Den and adding a Stop-Animation Station (North Syracuse Branch)
- Or…Propose a Project – We’re always trying to learn and improve, and a project that interests you may be something that will help us do our jobs better or enrich services to our communities. Talk to us! If we like your idea we’ll ask you to write up a brief description and submit it with your application.
The DetailsNOPL Application for Internship
These are typically unpaid opportunities, but some internship projects may come with a stipend to cover travel expenses. For more information or to apply send a completed application, cover letter and resume to: Kate McCaffrey at firstname.lastname@example.org
A note to iSchool students: Feel free to contact Assistant Dean Sue Corieri for more detail about NOPL. She is a NOPL Trustee and would be delighted to discuss the organization and internship program.