The Northern Onondaga Public Library Board of Trustees and staff are dedicated to making available a full range of information resources and services. The library offers access to the Internet as an electronic means of reaching ideas and information.
The Northern Onondaga Public Library will strive to offer our patrons fair and equitable access to Internet resources, as well as offering assistance and materials to guide users to interesting and useful Internet destinations and resources.
The Internet offers wide and unfettered access to information and ideas. Those who use our Internet connections should be aware of the following:
- Parents and guardians are responsible for the supervision or restriction of their children’s use of the Internet.
- The library reserves the right to use “filtering” software on selected computer connections where it feels appropriate (e.g., Children’s Room and Young Adult Area) It should be noted that filtering cannot be relied upon to be wholly effective.
- Not all sources on the Internet provide information that is accurate, complete, current, legal or philosophically acceptable to all citizens.
- The Northern Onondaga Public Library is unable to monitor or control the content of the materials on the Internet.
- All users of electronic information resources are expected to use these resources in a responsible manner; activities that disrupt the library or its network are prohibited.
- Text or graphics, which may reasonably be construed as obscene, may not be sent, received or displayed over Northern Onondaga Public Library connections.
- Use of the Internet for activities that violate local, state or federal laws is prohibited
- In order to provide equitable access the library may impose time limits and reservations for Internet workstations.
- Library users using public access computers to search the Internet should return to the NOPL homepage or quit the web browser before moving away from the computer.
- Failure to comply with library policies may result in loss of access for users.