Have you tried borrowing ebooks from the library for your new e-reader, but gotten stuck? We’re here to help.
First, A librarian dedicated to providing assistance at the information desk at each library location.
Secondly, Library folks in the county have made a series of instructional videos on how to borrow ebooks, transfer them to your device, and return them early.
Additionally, NOPL librarians have written out step-by-step directions:
HOW TO DOWNLOAD E-BOOKS FROM THE LIBRARY ONTO YOUR E-READER
What do I need?
- A compatible e-reader (Click here for a list of which devices are compatible with which formats from the digital catalog.) If you’re borrowing Kindle books, click here. The download process is different.
- A valid library card and PIN
- A computer with an internet connection
- Download Adobe digital editions http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/
- Download the software for your e-reader.
How do I get a library e-book?
- Go to www.nopl.org
- Click on the big purple Overdrive rectangle.
- Click on one of the e-books links (be careful you are not selecting an audiobook).
- Titles with a link that says add to cart are available for immediate use. Titles that say add to digital reserve list are currently out, but a hold can be placed. (NOTE: Adding to your Wish List is for your personal use only; Adding an item to your Wish List does not put you in line for that item.)
- Find the title you want and click on add to cart
- Click on proceed to checkout
- Put in your library card and PIN number
- Choose your preferred lending period and click on confirm checkout
- Click the button that says “Download.”
- It should download into your Adobe Digital editions.
How do I get it onto my e-reader?
- Connect your e-reader to you computer
- It should appear in the left hand side of Adobe Digital editions
- Click and Drag the title into the e-reader
How do I return it?
- Titles are checked out for 2 weeks by default, but this setting can be adjusted to a 7-day or a 21-day loan from within “My Digital Account”–>”Lending Periods”.
- They automatically are deleted from your computer when your time is up. After the loan period it will be deleted from your e-reader the first time you plug it into your computer.
- There are no renewals. You can check it out again if no one is waiting for it.