NOPL Code of Conduct
Northern Onondaga Public Library
Code of Conduct
The Northern Onondaga Public Library has adopted the following policy to protect the rights and safety of library users and staff and to protect library materials, equipment and property. The Board of Trustees of the Northern Onondaga Public Library is committed to providing a positive environment that enables staff to provide excellent customer service to all patrons.
Library users are expected to:
- Treat our staff and other patrons with respect
- Wear proper attire, including shirts and shoes while in the library.
- Turn down volume on cell phones and play other audio equipment so others are not disturbed.
The following behavior or activities are prohibited:
- Violating local ordinances, state, and/or federal law
- Violating library policies and/or guidelines
- Using abusive, obscene or threatening language or behavior
- Harassing others
- Misusing library furnishings, materials, equipment, or computers
- Bathing in public restrooms
- Sleeping in the library
- Disruptive behavior such as staring or spitting
- Fighting and physical abuse
- Running in the building
- Noise or loud talking that is disturbing to others
- Children under the age of eight should be in the company of a parent or caregiver while in the library. The safety and behavior of children in the library is the responsibility of the parent/caregiver.
- The library is a smoke and alcohol/drug free environment. Smoking is not allowed within 25 feet of any entrance.
- Library materials may not be taken into the restrooms.
- Persons with offensive body odor or poor hygiene that create a nuisance to others and/or disrupt Library service may be asked to leave.
- Rollerblades and skateboards may not be used on library property or brought into the library
- Bicycles may not be brought into the building
- Because the library cannot be responsible for lost or stolen articles, do not leave valuable or personal belongings unattended.
- Assistance animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are the only animals permitted in the library with the exception of those being used in a library program.
- Commercial Solicitation, panhandling, and the sale of merchandise, unless related to a library program or authorized by the library, are prohibited.
- Any use of cameras and recording devices in library buildings must be authorized.
- Flyers, petitions or non-library related literature may not be posted or distributed without permission
FOOD AND BEVERAGE GUIDELINES:
NOPL is committed to maintaining facilities that are clean, comfortable and welcoming. To support this goal we have adopted the following guidelines for public areas of our libraries:
- As authorized by the Library, food and beverages may be consumed in Library meeting rooms and at special events.
- Consuming beverages from lidded containers is permitted in the Library except in the vicinity of library computers.
Violation of the above polices may result in a warning, a request to leave the premises, or barring from NOPL libraries.
Approved July 23, 2012
Patron Code of Conduct (PDF format)